Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Is there a choice between a free 'Smart Meter' from an

Is there a choice...

Is there a choice between a free 'Smart Meter' from an energy retailer and a paid for one phase meter from SA Power networks (distributor). If there is a choice, who is responsible for notifying the consumer/client?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

We are in South Australia.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, apart from phone calls to our retailer and distributor; reference numbers from the retailer; only a name from SA Power Network, Customer Service...very unsatisfactory.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

A whole page of notes regarding initial query about an 'estimated account', meter failing to validate, and no one advising us as to the choice of meters after installation of a solar system.

2/19/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Afternoon

It is generally your supplier that offers the metres and they can charge you for them.

You have no choice unless your current metre is not faulty

Here is the position as it stands at the moment followed by the link

From 1 December 2017, new and replacement meters installed in homes and small business will be smart meters.

You will get a smart meter if:

• your existing electricity meter is old or faulty and needs replacing
  • there isn’t a meter at your property and/or the new meter is part of a new connection to the electricity network (eg if you are installing a new solar photovoltaic system, or building a new house).

If your existing meter is working and hasn’t reached the end of its functional life but your energy retailer wants to replace it anyway, you can say no to getting a new smart meter.

If you do not want a smart meter, the energy retailer can install one that does not have any communications functions, so it can’t transmit data. Your energy retailer will send someone to your property to read the meter manually. However, as smart meters become more common, be aware that you may have to pay for manual meter readings in the future.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/energy-and-environment/meters-and-bills/smart-meters

The link also explains the costs.

If the provider is offering them for free take it but there is no paid option for another type of metre all have to be smart metres

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask. If you wish a call we can arrange that as well.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

Hello, typed in my main question. Is there a choice between the Energy retailer's 'Smart Meter' and the Power distributor's paid for meter (SA Power networks) and, if so, who is responsible for informing the customer of these choices. This is after Solar System has been installed.

From what I have looked at there is no choice. All metres have to be smart metres.

In 2014 the SA government made the Smart Metres the norm.

I hope this makes sense.

Leon, Solicitor