Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Can I ask a lawyer to help me prepare a statement as victim…

Can I ask a...

Can I ask a lawyer to help me prepare a statement as victim of crime for the police . I’m struggling with the complexity of multi offender and the implications of it being construed in court if police go ahead and prosecute

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

In Melbourne

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I’ve been talking to A detective at SOCCIT for a year and she has taken many notes but wants a formal statement

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’m scared about not doing the statement the right way as it is big story

2/15/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Evening

I am not able to help you write it as I am not able to take on work from Justanswer.

Why do you need this is it for the court to sentence the offender or for a claim for compensation?

Hi Leon . this is my question . Who could help me write up what happened to me so that the police can then write it into a statement. Are you allowed to seek advice on how to write it. They were going to videotape me but then decided I would be too triggered to do that. They want me to show links between perpetrators and write it with a timeline. They will language , none of which I know. It will go towards prosecuting offenders within organised networks. Im keen to help other victims by speaking out. They have said I need to be transparent and don't leave anything out. However Im wondering if i should have legal advice even though I am a victim of crime. The defence party would get a copy of my statement if police prosecute. But isn't that counterproductive if my statement names multiple offenders in a linked story over 20 years.Surely an overview would be better to begin with and later additional statements, or does it have to be one big statement. There is risk of repercussion to me and I can't afford that. the detective says it has to be done properly as I only get one chance. What does this mean?

The following link is a guide to writing one.

https://www.victimsofcrime.vic.gov.au/guide-to-victim-impact-statements-0

It is very detailed.

The Police will look at it and assist you with the document once you do it.

They have expertise in these.

But the guide I have given you is a start.

You can also contact Victims Support in Victoria and they can assist you

http://www.victimsupport.org.au/

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask. If you wish a call we can arrange that as well.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

Ok thanks I will go through victims assistance
5 stars for you

Thank you for that

But can you find the stars and mark them so I can be paid.

I hope it all goes well

Regards

Leon, Solicitor