Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a query about an overseas student who has worked for…

Good morning Lawyer's Assistant:...

Good morning

Lawyer's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

Hi, I have a query about an overseas student who has worked for me in the past , she is staying a motel in inner Melbourne

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The owner operator of the motel leaves the keys to rooms on front desk. On the weekend there was a noisy aggravating group in motel. they had overstayed when they should not have been there . On sunday afternoon the took keys from reception and robbed rooms , sexually intimidated staff . my student has lost all her valuable and the owner of motel is being non supportive

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes , victoria reported to police she is writing a list of valuables

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

But needs legal support to make the owner submit claim

2/13/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

is there anyhting in writing yet

FROM THE OWNER ?
the owner is being difficult . there are many many work place issues here , but the initial thing is to force the owner to make an insurance claim .

under the in keepers act the guest can sue the motel operator for losses.

would you like to consider this option ?

there may also lay a claim for negligence in respect to proper duty of care by the motel owner and other damages may be raised subject to a detail assessment.

does this answer your question today ?

I guess initially the student would like to force the insurance claim of her possessions, possibly $30k , as there was a watch and diamond earrings, diamond bracelets and some nice clothing .
she is very very distressed. so I think the way to force the insurance claim is the first , the second is I guess personal compensation .

the student will need to bring a civil claim against the motel owner and not wait for the owners insurance to kick in.

I have extended a special offer to talk on the phone, please look, it will help you.

ok , can I consider what you have indicated and call you later ?

sure

just accept the special offer and you can call me when you are free

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars and thank you for using Just Answer.

thank you

you are welcome

John Melis, Lawyer