Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Leon, My business recently received an invoice for some

Customer Question
Hi Leon, My business...

Hi Leon, My business recently received an invoice for some plumbing works done at the business, however the fee for the invoice is extremely high, and I would like to dispute the invoice what is the procedure of challenging an invoice?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No nothing

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The invoice is $6,000 +, for 9 hours work, the plumber has charged an 'emergency call out' rate for all hours worked

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Law
2/7/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 5 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

When you contracted fir the work was there any agreement as to cost or were you given an estimate as to costs?

If so you can rely on that and if you have something in writing that is even better.

You can lodge a dispute with NCAT against the plumber.

http://www.ncat.nsw.gov.au/Pages/apply_to_ncat/apply_to_ncat.aspx

It would have to be in the Commercial Division.

Before you do that I would suggest you send the plumber a letter disputing the amount and confirming any agreement you had and attaching anything from them in writing.

Asking them to honour that and that you dispute the account they have sent you.

The more information you have the better.

If they did not advise you of the emergency call out fee and only an hourly rate then you would set that out in your letter and claim.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask. If you wish a call we can arrange that as well.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards