Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My mother died 20 years ago and my sister and I were the…

Customer Question
Hi, my mother died...

Hi, my mother died 20 years ago and my sister and I were the Executors. I was not aware at the time that my niece had laid claim to my mother's very expensive diamond engagement because it had been "promised' to her many years before my mother died. There is now a dispute as to who should have the ring. I have three siblings and it was my stepfather who bought it for my mother. My question is that there was nothing in the Will to state that the ring was to go to my niece.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Queensland.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not regarding this matter, as no one knew that my niece had laid claim to it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I would like to know if what she has done is legal and if not, how can the situation be solved

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/7/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

do you have a copy of the will now ?