Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have been billed by both AGL and Red Energy for the same…

I have been billed...

I have been billed by both AGL and Red Energy for the same period. I signed up to Red Energy after a door to door salesman came by. AGL then contacted me a day later and offered me a good deal to stay with them and arranged the switch back. I have now been billed by both for the same period. I have contacted Red Energy to advise they have billed me incorrectly as I am not their customer. Can they put a black mark against my credit rating for not paying them?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

NSW and was visited by door to door salesman in Nov I think but received the Red Energy bill in Jan which is due 25th Jan. I have just got back from overseas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I doubt it as I have only just contacted them this afternoon about it. My concern is that they may have the ability to report me to the credit reference assoc.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that’s it

1/23/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

Thank you John

what you need to do is to issue written correspondence to the older utility that you already have a utility provider handling your property. You also need to issue a copy of the invoice for the period that is in question in relation to the charges that are applying.

The older utility company will then fix their records on the same and apply a credit.

It is important to send written correspondence to the older utility company

does this answer your question today ?

I have emailed Red Energy this afternoon advising them they are in error. My concern is that they can give me a bad credit reference while this is being worked out. I’ve had that used against me in the past when a utility simply passed my case onto a debt chaser who threatened to give me a black mark on my credit rating if I didn’t pay by a certain day

did you email a copy of the current utility company invoice for the same period ?

No I shall do that as well. I believe this answers my question for now.

you are most welcome

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this will allow me to continue to answer your important questions.

John Melis, Lawyer