Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We have had a car stored in our shed for 13-14yrs the owner…

We have had a...

We have had a car stored in our shed for 13-14yrs the owner never came to pick it up she would ring about once a year promise to pick up in a few weeks but didn’t we had no contact number or a full name for her so we have sold it suddenly she rings again today over 15 mths since the call she has paid nothing for storage where do we stand?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

1970 Manaro NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean

1/23/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

at any time did you send a notice to the owner in writing to remove the car from your property ?

John Melis, Lawyer
No as we had no name or address or contact number
Phone call session started

the law of conversion applies in your matter

and you will be accountable for sale proceeds to the owner of the car

Can we claim storage fees

yes you can, as long as they are reasonable.

Reasonable fees for car storage could be $40 pr week

this will be subject to comparable storage rates in the area

We also stored her furniture which took half a double garage and has never picked up plus the takes a full double garage

ok you can charge for this as well