Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I need advice about how I was treated by a law firm for

Hi, I need advice...

Hi, I need advice about how I was treated by a law firm for preparing my Will and EPA

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in NSW but the law firm is in Brisbane (QLD)

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I am thinking to raise the matter to the head of the firm, but have not done that yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean? I have communicated the issue with the lawyer but have not officially raised it to their firm yet. I wanted to get some advice from you before doing so

1/21/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

can you tell what happened in relation to the service you received ?

there two separate issues:
1- how I was billed for my Will and EPA: I've been charged almost twice more than originally agreed for the Will and EPA preparation and the reason I was given was that I kept changing my mind on how I wanted my Will. Although this approach was unprofessional and in this case I should have simply been warned before the changes were made, I paid all the additional bills in full.
2- I sent the one and only copies of my Will and EPA to the firm's PO Box number that I was given by registered post. According to Australia Post records, the package was delivered to the PO Box on 22 Dec 2017. I advised the office about this shipment and since I did not hear back about receipt of this package, I sent a couple of follow up emails. The response I received was on Fri 19 Jan 2018 at 19:05 (almost a month after the package was delivered) that the package was not received there. I responded with screenshots of Australia Post and shipment record for which I have not received a response as yet.
I am not sure how I should deal with them should they come back saying the package is lost and if they ask for more money. I am not going to pay any more. Can I ask for full refund? What should I do?

one of the main elements in your claim is whether the lawyer provided you with a cost agreement, work agreement, before starting the job ?

Did they do this.

Would you like to talk by telephone ?

Sorry I prefer not to pay the $82.
We officially agreed on preparing a "simple" Will. My Will is indeed simple, I've never been married, have no children, don't own shares, multiple properties etc. However, my mistake was emailing the lawyer a few times and changing my mind about how the Will would be. I did not realise changing my mind would make the Will "complicated" and I will have to pay extra. They did as I said and charged me more, which is unprofessional to me. They should have warned me before doing the work. The other main issue is that the fully signed Will might have been lost. What I should do if they ask for more money for redoing it? Getting the signatures again is of totall inconvenience for me.

sure

the first step is that you need to send a letter to the lawyers offer disputing the invoice and asking for an itemized bill of costs.

what you need to do is to list the issues in a chronological order of events as to what occurred and why the services was no good.

then you need to send that letter to the legal services commissioner raising the dispute and seeking an investigation.

while the investigation is occurring you do not need to pay the invoice.

I have extended a special offer to you to talk on the telephone, please look, as it is special and I will help you address the letter needed.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this will allow me to continue to answer your important questions.

Thank you John but I do not see the offer here or in my mailbox.
re the bills: I had communicated this with them and they did not agree to waive. I paid the extra in full because I had already paid them and I was stuck with them.
re the fully signed forms: I have not heard back from them after I sent them the Australia Post records that the package was received at their PO Box. I'm worried they ask for more money. This whole thing been dragging on since August 2017.
I will rate you in the end for sure. Thanks for reminding.

sorry, special offer is displayed now for you.

Thank you, I've paid too much for this matter. Sorry I declined. If you could help in writing, that'll be great

as you have paid the lawyer, in order, to claim a refund for the poor service you need to raise a complain in writing to the legal services commission and ask them to assess what happened.

I can help you with your letter but the legal profession rules require that I actually talk with you by telephone in order to obtain all your details to create a proper client to process the matter.

I invite you to consider the special telephone offer to help you get your refund back for the poor service you received.

actually I have paid $76+$5. Is this the cost for chatting only? Or does it include the phone call? If it does not include the phone call, please give me your advice here via chat

I am not sure of the fees that apply to your question posting as I do not have access to the accounts.

the special offer I extended to you is to talk on the phone as long as your require to help you with your important matter.

Raising a claim to the legal services commissioner, requires you to detail in writing the service that you received and what issues you experienced and why you consider the legal fee from the lawyer not appropriate for the work that was done.

this letter needs to be drafted in a chronological order by points: 1, 2, 3, ....10 ... etc.

the letter must be precise to the facts.

once the commissioner gets the letter they will notify the lawyer that they cannot pursue the invoice against you until the investigation is completed.

the commission will then decide the outcome of the situation for you.

OK thanks John. Can I come back here to talk to you on the phone using the special offer? I am asking this because I need to get the confirmation from them if the package is received there for sure or not.

the special offer is valid for today and I suggest that you accept the offer and then you can call me any time that you need on that price.

otherwise tan come back this chat box

You did not advise about how to go about the lost package. Australia Post records indicate the package was delivered, but they say they have not received it

you need to obtain the tracking detail numbers, have this printed up from Australia Post Tracking App online, and then you can use this information as the basis for raising a damages claim any loss that you have incurred.

in your situation the law will protect your legal rights.

Thank you John. I have already sent them a screen shot of the Australia Post delivery confirmation and am awaiting their response

ok you have done the correct way.

John Melis, Lawyer

thank you for the rating.

if you can extend to 5 stars I will be able to continue asking your questions in this post without further charges to you.

John Melis, Lawyer