Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My husband and I had a few insurance policies with AMP

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I had a few insurance policies with AMP before. Presently I only have my life insurance which was converted from a previous policy into what is called Flexible Lifetime - Protection Plan. This was on recommendation of the agent assigned to me by AMP because the one we had since 1981 had moved on and I understand over 2 years ago he already passed away. My concern is, I am 74 years old now and will be 75 this year and my policy has been increasing every year. This year it will be $425.46 from next month. I had contacted AMP before at least twice asking if there was a way where I can either reduce the cover or whatever is possible so I can peg my premium to a fixed cost that is not to increase every year. They told me that there is nothing I can do with this particular policy (which policy I did not ask for and was accepted in good faith because I trusted their agent/representative to be looking after my interest and welfare just like our original agent who really looked after his customers' welfare. Is there really nothing I can do? I still work but could soon be out of job because of another re-structure we are having. AMP advised that it is either I continue with the yearly increased premium and if I decide to stop for whatever reason, I lose everything I had paid to AMP. Could you possibly advise me? Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New South Wales. I live in Sydney.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Except for my telephone enquiries which I thought was being recorded. I am not sure if I did write; I will have to check my records. I am just afraid I might be in a position to keep on paying if I live to be 80 or more.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am not sure.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
1/20/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

based on your comments, there is a possibility you may have a claim for misleading conduct by AMP. Such claim would need careful assessment of the discussions you have held and the written communication you have received.

There are numerous claims developing the market place on similar conduct that you have experienced by various businesses.

The next step you need to consider is to have all the material and communications assessed careful before raising claim.

On the facts at present you possibly may have claim to pursue damages.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this will allow me to continue to answer your important questions.