Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Married in Japan, Divorced in Australia. One side has

pension money in Japan, quite...
Married in Japan, Divorced in Australia. One side has pension money in Japan, quite a lot.Property split in Australia finalised, agreement allows either party to their entitlements in Japan.Does anyone know how I can apply through the Japanese system to get this money. I have seen the “split document” from the Japanese pension department in Japan. (when i say split i mean the one issued by the pension department which lists in yen how much is assigned to each party)Questions:
1. How can I apply and get this amount on the split document (what form, do u have link?)
2. I have read I can apply for more through a court/or some sort of tribunal in Japan. Is this true? What is the process for doing so?
1/19/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

were the financial separation documents refiled in Japan ?

au

are you intending to file the documents in Japan ?

needs to be done these as it is japanese pension system.
to be clear, property settlement has happened in australia with the rights i deacribed in first post

ok

I have extended a special offer to talk on the telephone to help you, please have a look.

when i say “entitlements in japan” i am refering to any pension entitlements only

understand that.

Did you intent to engage a family lawyer in Japan ?

Undecided, in the first instance I am seeking the answer to my question.

the answer involves two jurisdictions.

how about we talk on the phone for clarity of the matter.

I know there are two jurastions. I am
unable to
talk right now, but next week most likely would be good. But can you please address the question a little now so I can read
over the weekend.

one of the key questions that need to be asked, is whether your marriage was registered in Japan, through the Japanese embassy ?

no, registered at a city hall in japan while living there

so just to clarify, you were registered under the Japanese system as part of the family paper of your partner ?

married in japan. we were physically there. and we physically walked to the city hall to register on the koseki.she is head of household on the koseki.

so your name is ***** ***** her family paper ? This is a key point the registration on the family paper. Not marriage certificate.

I invite you to accept the telephone call as it will make it easier for you, and the offer is special.

is there a different meaning to register on the koseki? now you are making me confused.
to be clear,
japane does not have a marrage certificate, proof of marrage is from being listed on the koseki as such.

lets talk on the phone and I can clear it up for you.

I have sent you that special offer, please accept, it will help you.

John Melis, Lawyer
I accepted this offer to speak on the phone

numbers displayed

ok, I will call you in 15 minutes

John Melis, Lawyer