Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have been defrauded by a so called investment company.

I have been defrauded...

I have been defrauded by a so called investment company. Where can I go for help? Liz

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

To whom?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need advice on wher I can report this and what chances I have of getting my money back. Also I believe that this company should be deregistered and prosecuted

1/19/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

What country are they in and did you sign anything?

How have they accessed your money was it via bank accounts or credit card?

If they are an Australian based company, they are registered with ASIC and you can report them to ASIC and they will investigate the fraud and can charge them and prosecute them.

If they are overseas the Australian Authorities do not have jurisdiction and they cannot assist.

If the money has been taken from tour credit card you can contact your issuing bank and they will send you paperwork to complete and freeze the amount and if it is found to be fraud they will refund the money to you.

But if it is an Australian Company ASIC will deal with it and you can lodge a complaint against them.

http://asic.gov.au/about-asic/contact-us/how-to-complain/

If you wish to ask more questions please feel free to do so. Or we can have a telephone call if that is easier. Just let me know.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor