Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My son hit another car late last year and slightly dented…

Hi, My son hit...

Hi, My son hit another car late last year and slightly dented the guys tail gate. He is not insured. He has just received an invoice for $6200 from RACQ due in 7days!! He thinks that the invoice is very unreasonable considering the slight damage done to the car

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

The invoice lists things that where not damaged. Qld and the car he hit was a 12mth old navara.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Sorry filed or reported? The guy said he would get 3 quotes & contact my son. He has just put a claim through with his insurance company RACQ, they have sent an invoice to my son.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My son is a 2nd year apprentice and does not have $6k.

1/17/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will be with you shortly.

your son can dispute the invoice by obtaining counter quotes for the same repair.

he needs to place RACQ on notice in writing say that he is contesting the repair invoice.

He also needs to request a mediation in relation to the matter as well with RACQ to allow for time to get the quotes and to prepare the case for dispute.

everything must be done in writing.

does this answer your important question today ?

I spose, thanks. Not sure where to go from here though. Write a dispute letter and send to RACQ? Who do we request mediation from RACQ?

ok the first step is t contact RACQ.

reference the invoice and state you are disputing the amount and request a mediation

this needs to be done in writing sent to the dispute resolution department /legal

then get the quotes on the repair of the vehicle in question.

then prepare the arguments for the counter claim.

does this assist in answering your question ?

Ok thank you :)

you are most welcome

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this will allow me to continue to answer your important questions.

How do we get quotes to repair someone else's car? Ed tried to call the guy but he won't answer his phone. Or does RACQ organise this with their client?

you can request RACQ to provide the details of the car that was damaged so quotes can be obtained in relation to the status of the damaged vehicle. RACQ will provide disclosure as a matter of good practice.

Ok thank you

you are most welcome

John Melis, Lawyer