Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have 2 issues. The first is that I have been sent an

I have 2 issues...

I have 2 issues. The first is that I have been sent an infringement notice for driving the wrong side of a divided road. This sounds bad but the context was a small fire on the outskirts of Hamilton that had been extinguished but there was still a police roadblock in place. I followed a fire truck which drove down the same lane and I assumed it was a situation like when there are road works in progress and you get diverted. I saw the road ahead which led onto the highway was clear so I followed the firetruck. There was no-one directing traffic at the time so it was a confusing situation and other vehicles following were also unsure where to go but the officer that booked me was able to run over waving his arms and pointing for them to turn left. Why did he not do this for me?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Victoria, 2006 model Subaru

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have sent a complaint by email but have not received any reply. I sent this also because the officer that dealt with me was abusive and treated me as if I was an idiot. This also has upset my wife who witnessed his sarcastic comments and intimidating behavior.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Having been a volunteer with the CFA and having attended many fires I understand even small fires as this one was tend to create confusion especially with motorists. Should I have expected there to be an officer on duty directing traffic in a circumstance like this and should I also have been entitled to a bit of respect fro the officer who booked me?

1/16/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

do you want to contest these matters in the court ?

Not if I can help it but for now I will say yes
I would prefer just a simple answer for now

ok

there are several aspects that you need to do to prepare

when is the hearing ?

I have only just received the infringement notice and am wondering what my chances are. Can you express an opinion on the information given so far? in particular the questions I asked about there being no officer directing traffic.

ok

I have extended a special offer to talk on the phone, please have a look it will help you

John Melis, Lawyer

numbers displayed