Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

My caravan was being stored at a caravan park which I was…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My caravan was...
Second opinion] My caravan was being stored at a caravan park which I was paying a fee for. I bought and placed 2 tarps over it to protect it from the weather. After the Winter had passed I bought 2 more tarps, checked inside the van and saw it had faired well albeit there were some tears in the oroiginal tarps. Then put the new ones over the caravan over the top of the ones that were already in place. Shortly after putting the new ones on, the caravan park removed them completely and did not put them back on leaving the caravan totally exposed. When I viewed the inside of the caravan some 6 months later the inside had extensive damage. The owner was made aware of the damage and has never taken any steps to rectify the damage or compensate for it. Over time (4 years) I have thrown out, fixed, replaced, painted etc. They claim I owe them over $10 000 in lease fees and have to pay an exit fee once I sell the onsite property. They have also stated they will not let the new owners on the site until I have paid their account. What can I do? Regards CathyJA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?Customer: Western AustraliaJA: Has anything been filed or reported?Customer: To WhomJA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: The owner of the caravan park has never offered me a lease
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Australia Law
1/15/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 1 month ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Afternoon

If the caravan park agreed to look after it and ensure that the Tarps were in place and failed to do so then they are liable for the damage to the caravan. You have to get a quotation to quantify the value of the damage.

You have a right to offset the damage you have suffered against what you owe them but you have to be able to show they were responsible to put the tarps on and they failed in their duty.

Hopefully you have something in writing that would make it easier to prove.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor