Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I am a person whose husband committed DV against me. I was…

Customer Question
I am a person...

I am a person whose husband committed DV against me. I was subjected to verbal physical financial and rape in an 18 year marriage. He is 11 years younger. I was gifted nearly $400,000 from my mother, post her death. He was not gifted any money by my mother. He went to the bank and took half. His father died 4 months post separation. I was not offered any money.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Australia it happened in but I live in Victoria because of DV

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes the violence but not financial. Well not quite correct. I went to police and told them what happened and they said it was not a police matter

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. I am an RN still working. I have arthritis and private health cover. But post separation it flared up and I had 2 knee replacements and a hip replacement. No money so had to use superannuation. I have an excellent job and work hard , but unable to buy a small property for retirement. Can work with this company until I am 80 yrs but......

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/10/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will be with you shortly.

the police are correct your matter is a civil one

your next step is to commence financial separation.

would you like to discuss this option as it will secure your future with the relationship assets once completed

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor