Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

We have just sold our caravan on a private sell the

Customer Question
We have just sold...

We have just sold our caravan on a private sell the purchaser has demanded that we pay for maintenance items after the sale. We jave refused

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Western Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Only by email

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The emails are of a harassing nature

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Australia Law
1/9/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 1 month ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Afternoon

They are responsible and you have no liability to pay for anything.

Your only liability is to make sure you own it and can sell it.

If they had an issue they should have realised it before they purchased it.

The law says buyer beware. If they have failed to do their due diligence then they are stuck with any payments to maintain.

You are not liable for anything unless you advertised that you would be liable.

The consumer laws do not apply and they have no right of action.

Here is some information from the Department of Commerce in WA

https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/consumer-protection/buying-private-seller

You are not liable for anything.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor