Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Got caught speeding and been banned for 6 months and on the…

Customer Question
Got caught speeding and been...
Got caught speeding and been banned for 6 months and on the spot fine of $2500, I intend paying this fine but I’m struggling for the money at the moment. Can I some how set a payment plan or would I have to take this to court?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
1/9/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

yes you can get a payment plan

you will need to contact the court registry to arrange the same

the details of who to contact will be on the order

does this answer your important question today ?

Hi John, Would I have to go got the court or arrange over the phone?

its best to go to the registry office to arrange.

but you can also do it over the phone too .

Regarding the first question today. If all
Failed and I can’t pay the loan and they take it to the Courts, Can they seize assets from the uk if I have any in the future? I under stand the consequences about not be able to return.

no they cannot, as they would need to file in the UK courts.

have I answered your important questions today

But can they get it filled in the uk court or
Is this not possible?

yes they can have a debt judgement filed in the UK court but it is very unlikely in your case

if I can’t pay it, I won’t be able to return or I’ll be arrested at the airport? What if I return in 10/15 years would this be likely then?

if there is a judgment debt filed in Australia it can be pursued against you.

How long does a judgment debt last for?

is permanent.

I have worked out my finances and will be able to leave a debt of $15,000. Would they still do a judgment debt for that amount?

yes in Australia they will. Over in UK, may be not.

Thank you John I want to get all this sorted before I leave.

ok

would like to talk on the telephone, I have extended a special offer to you

I can’t at the moment sorry. Is there some thing else I should know or some thing I should do?

it really comes down to what you would like to do .

what is that you want to do in this situation ?

My first priority is paying the fine for speeding because I know if I don’t pay that it will affect me returning in the future. Secondly I’m going to try and pay as much of the loan as I can, but I need to have some money afloat to have place to live in the UK I can’t go there with nothing. I think I will get it down to about $15k. I will then later try and lay the loan from the UK but with wages being lower and paying to live I’m not sure I will be able to. I know I will be able to Return because I’m a citizen but hope I do not get arrested on entry in the future.

ok,

so you have a plan which is good.

is there any other question you have today ?