Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I and my wife, Sarojini Kamath have Funeral Insurance with…

Customer Question
I am Madhukar Kamath...

I am Madhukar Kamath. I and my wife, Sarojini Kamath have Funeral Insurance with TAL Insurance. We commenced these policies in 2005 with a premium $55 and the Funeral cover (Death Benefit) is $8331 as per the Policy Schedule. We have continued to pay till to-date this premium amount through direct debit and it amounts to $8496/= per policy. We have covered the Death Benefit amount $8331.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

We asked TAL how long we should continue to pay the premiums and we were shocked to hear that we have to continue paying till 2058. The policy cover is till 2058! When we took the policy we were 67 yr. old and now we are 80 yr. There is no logic why we should continue paying the premiums. In 2058 we will be 125 yr. old. and I wonder whether anybody has lived that long. It is preposterous to think that our Funeral policy continues for that long. When we asked TAL the Cust. Service could not give us any convincing answers. We told them that since we have paid up the Funeral Cost and we would like to discontinue, they informed us that the Policy will lapse. That means we won't get the amount when the time comes to pay for our funeral services paid to our nominated Beneficiaries! we see this as a trap and the insurance company wants to continue paying till we drop dead! We are pensioners and we cannot go on paying the premiums indefinitely. When I questioned TAL that in their Policy Schedule nowhere they have indicated the expiry date of the policy, they have no answer. They only repeat that this is their policy and the expiry date is 2058! Please help us; we are experiencing financial constraints and want to discontinue paying the premiums unnecessarily at the same time we do not want to lose the amount which we have already paid-up for the Death Benefit as per the Policy Schedule.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have already sent e-mails to this effect to the TAL Insurance. So far their answers are vague and not satisfactory. They (Cust. Ser.) repeat that in case we stop paying the premiums the Policy will lapse.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

One more thing I want to let you know. When TAL Cust. Ser. mentioned that our Policy is till 2058, I calculated the amount that would accrue @ 55 per month since 2005 (the commencement date of the policy). It came to about 55x12x54 = $ 35,640. I asked TAL, suppose I live that long (125 yrs) and the death ensues after that, will they release this amount to the Beneficiary? They had no answer to this. They only told me that as per the Policy Schedule the amount will be $8331 paid to the beneficiary. For me this seems rediculous. I do not know how many Seniors (Pensioners) are trapped by these Insurance companies.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Australia Law
1/9/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

do you still have a copy of the policy and what does it say about the situation you are raising

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** the response. Yes, I have the policy schedule. Nowhere in the policy, they have given the expiry date. Now only they are telling us that the policy expires in 2058!

ok

does it refer to any updates on their website with reference to it

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor