Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a $100/month plan with Optus which includes 12GB of…

Customer Question
I have a $100/month...

I have a $100/month plan with Optus which includes 12GB of data. Each 1GB of data I use over that costs me $10.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Qld. Sorry. I haven't started yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I'll get to that.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have, very rarely, exceeded the 12 GB. I think once, 1GB, in the last 12 months. Then, about 2 weeks ago, I started getting notices - 2 and 3 per day - that I was incurring the $10 surcharges. I rang Optus. They said to call back when I'd paid the current bill. So, thinking there was no big problem, that they'd just fix it and credit the extra chargers, I just used my laptop as usual and ignored the continuing notices. Last Friday I paid my bill on time and rang Optus as requested. They said it looked like Windows was trying to put through a big update (7GB!!) and they would raise a ticket to see if I was liable! They suggested they could disconnect my internet. No!! I have a business to run! Told me to call back in 3 to 5 days to get the result of the ticket investigation. Cost of the extra GBs to date is $300! (My thoughts and actions: I can unplug my wireless modem and only plug it in to send and receive emails, that way I can control the updates until I can find someone who can change the settings on my laptop to block the updates. Query: Why couldn't they have told me that 2 weeks earlier and saved me $300? $300 of benefit to them. A vested interest to them. A $300 cost to me which they could have saved me, a cost for which I gained no benefit and no enjoyment. They were negligent in their duty of care to me as their customer.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
1/8/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will be with you shortly.

have you written a formal complaint to optus yet ?