Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We have a rental agreement in place with our tenants for a…

Customer Question
We have a rental...

We have a rental agreement in place with our tenants for a 12 month period. One of the conditions of rental is that no animals or pets are allowed inside the residence. The tenants have breached the tenancy agreement by having animals inside the rental property. Can the rental agreement be terminated early due to this breach?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

ACT

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not as yet.....I need to know where I stand legally. This is a private rental with the rental agreement signed by both parties & we both have a copy of the signed document. The tenants have been warned twice before (once verbally and the other in writing) about having their dogs inside and it was brought to our attention that during the last week that while they have been away that their 2 cats have been shut inside ... a family member of theirs has been going around & feeding them.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is a difficult situation as the tenants are my daughter-in-law's parents...what is the saying 'never rent to family or friends..' We rented the house out as a favour as the house that they were previously renting was infested by termites & falling down around their ears. We NEVER charged them a bond or 4 weeks rent in advance.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
1/8/2018
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 6 months ago
Daniel, Solicitor
Hello, yes, you can terminate the agreement. They have sufficent warning.Send them an eviction notice, have the locks changed in 14 days and their belongings placed outside should they not adhere.Please click accept and rate my service (with the stars). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost.
I appear to not have a response?Please click accept and rate my service (with the stars). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Please click accept / rate my service (WITH THE STARS). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost to you

Thank you for your advice.
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 5 months ago
Please click accept