Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Is it possible in Australia to sue the woman who was

Customer Question
Hello Is it possible in Australia...
Hello
Is it possible in Australia to sue the woman who was embroiled in an illicit affair with ones husband for severe emotional distress? The result of said affair has caused the victim, i.e the wife, depression, anxiety, unable to work, loss of concentration and other physical symptoms.
Are there grounds to pursue such a course of action or is it not legally possible in Australia ?
Thank you
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
1/7/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

no claim will apply, unless unless direct damage can be proven through relevant reports by a clinical psychologist.

there must be a link, damage and loss that is quantifiable.

what seems to be the issue you are dealing with ?

A woman engaged in an affair with husband. The affair ended at which point she again pursued it further with consistent photos, video, audio messages. She has been vindictive now that it has ceased. Calling me to, for lack of a better word, throw my husband under the bus when I already knew of the events, I received a phone call from a police man which I could not verify if it was legitimately an officer claiming I’ve bullied her and it goes on. As a result I’ve physically suffered with lack of sleep, severe loss of weight, have missed weeks off of work because of the depressed state of what feels like emotional harassment. The days I have been to work it has only been a few hours until I am unable to physically cope due to the emotional stress. Previously there have been no issues in my state of mind nor my physical well being.

in relation to making a claim have you seen a clinical psychologist and been diagnosed with a recognised illness yet?