Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Four of us have just signed a lease to rent a house with…

Customer Question
Hi there. My name...

Hi there. My name is***** of us have just signed a lease to rent a house with bills included in rent. We have been here 4 days. When it was 40C yesterday the owner turned off the air con saying it was too expensive and says he is going to disconnect it. Can he do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. They were down from Sydney for weekend. I was at work, but the others say he turned off the air con and he told me today it costs $1 for 30 mins running and he is going to get it disconnected.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The ad in Flatmates.com specifically mentioned split system aircon. $200 @week, bills and internet included. Just 4 days in and air con is taken away.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
1/7/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will be with you shortly.

where you have signed a lease for a property and it includes the aircon, plus gas and electricity included in the lease amount, the lessor cannot withdraw the services that have been provided under the lease.

In other words the lessor cannot turn off the aircon.

If the lessor does you can raise a claim at VCAT straight way.

Has the lessor issued a notice in writing ?