Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

If my son has ever been under the mental health act can he…

Customer Question
If my son has...

If my son has ever been under the mental health act can he join the millitary

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Wa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not as yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My son is presently suffering from psychosis and is being treated as a voluntary patient we may have to change this to involuntary which places him under the mental health act i am concerned about restrictions placed on him in the community in the future if we do this

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
1/7/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will be with you shortly.

it will be depend on his mental condition at the time applying and if he can be classified as fit and proper in mental state to be part of the armed services.

does this answer your important question today ?

Thank you what is concerning me is if he has EVER been under the mental health act what community workforce or travel restrictions will he be affected by rather than WHILST he is under the mental health act - obviously he is too unwell now to join the military or travel outside australia

you are most welcome

the defence forces are a goods source of employment and your son will be supported if he is employed in that area of government.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this will allow me to continue to answer your important questions.

He is only 16 and wants to join the military in the future ?? He has not applied yet

from what you have described, you are on the right path to ensure that your son will have a great future in the defence forces.