Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I have been dependent on my wife to care for me following…

Customer Question
I have been...

I have been dependent on my wife to care for me following hospilisation

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

II HAVE BEEN DEPENDENT ON MY WIFE SINCE DISCHARGE FROM R DARWIN HOSPITAL 23 FEB 2017 MY WIFE IS DEPENDENT ON ME BECAUSE SHE BECAME REDUNDANT 39 SEP 2016 AND UNEMPLOYED SINCEHER APPLICATION TO CENTRELINK FOR A CARERS ALLOWANCE WAS REJECTED SEEMINGLY BECAUSE OF MY INCOME ,AND VALUE OF SHARES TO HELP HER LIVE OUTSIDE HER CARERS ROLE LOOKING AFTER ME I GIVE HER $50 A DAY FROM MY SAVINGS. WOULD I BE ENTITLED TO ANY TAX RELIEF WHEN COMPLETING 2018 TAX RETURN..LAST YEAR , FOR THE FIRST TIME I HAD A TAX AGENT COMPLETE OUR RETURNS AND HE SEEMED DISINTERESTED AND INTIMATED THAT NO TAXATION RELIEF WAS POSSIBLE..I INTEND TO TO RETURN TO DOING OUR RETURNS MYSELF THIS YEAR KEITH SMART

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

NO ALTHOUGH I AM PRESENTLY DRAFTING A LETTER TO GO WITH MY PAYG CHEQUE

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

MY WIFE SEVERED HER WORKING LIFE AFTER REDUNDANCY AND EXHAUSTED ALL HER SUPER ALSO I AM ONLY ASSUMING CENTRELINK S REJECTION WAS BEAUSE MY INCOME ASSETS WERE ABOVE A THRESHOLD THEY WANTED ME TO COPY MY SHARE CERTIFICATES AND SEND TO THEM EVEN AFTER I TOLD OF THEIR MARKET VALUE...WE WERE BOTH SICK OF ALL THEIR REQUIRMENTS AT THAT STAGE ESPECIALLY BECAUSE WE WERE VERBALLY TOLD THAT THERE WS[WAS NO ASSETT TEST FO A CARERS ALOWANCE AND THE WEBSITE CONFIRMED THAT ,CENTRELINK ADVISED THAT THE REJECTION WAS BECAUSE THEY HAD NOT REEIVED ALL THE INFO REQUESTED

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/6/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

a carer allowance can be obtained from centrelink, when the necessary paperwork has been completed and the requisite conditions have been met.

have you tried this aspect yet ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i mentioned in my question that we had tried CENTRELINK, AND REASONS WHY NOT ACTUALLY COMPLETING "PAPERWORK ' AS IT WAS OBVIOUS THAT IT WAS MEANS TESTED AND TOO INVOLVED YO CONTINUE MY QUESTION IS ABOUT TAXATION RELIEF FOR ME AT TAX TIME IF AVAILABLE IN LIEU. KEITH[
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I DU NOT USE TRLEPHONE BECAUSE OF MY DEAFNESS ,THIS IS MY PREFERRED COMMUNICATION KEITH

i understand your comments, but you will need to file the paperwork with centre as required by the regulations.

do you need help with this ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
AFTER SUPPLYING A LOT OF ANSWERS TO CENTRELINK ,PARYICULARLY ABOUT MY INCOME AND ASSETS THEIR FUTHER QUESTION OF COPYING MY SHARE CERTIFICATES TO CONFIRM MY HOLDINGS WAS JUST TOO MUCH !!I FOR ME TO HANDLE IN MY CONDITION,,,,,,,,MY LEFT HAND /ARM IS NEAR USELESS , AND IT SEEMED QUITE EVIDENT THAT FOR MY WIFE TO GET APPROVAL FOR A CARERS ALLOWANCE IT WAS GOING TO BE MEANS TESTED EVEN THOUGH IT IS ADVERTISED THAT IS NOT SO ....ARE YOU SAYING THAT THERE IS NO OTHER TAX RELIEF OTHER THAN A CARERS ALLOWANCE FOR HER..?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
MY WIFE AND I ARE PROUD THAT WE HAVE NOT ASKED FOR CENTRELINK HELP IN THE PAST WE WOULD PREFER TO KEEP OUT OF THEIR SYSTEM KEITH

I have extended a special offer to talk on the telephone if you prefer as it will make it easier to discuss your matter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
AS MENTIONED EARLIER I PREFER NOT TO USE PHONE BECAUSE OF MY DEAFNESS.I PREFER THIS WAY BY TEXT IT IS EASIER FOR ME
I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ANSWERED ABOUT CARERS ALLOWANCE FOR MY WIFE THROUGH CENTRELINK
MY QUESTION IS " IS THEIR ANY OTHER PROVISION FOR TAX RELIEF TO CLAIM MY WIFE AS A DEPENDENT WHEN I PREPARE TAX RETURN ?"

well this will depend on how your tax return is done and the structures you have been using.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I HAVE BEEN DOING INDIVIDUAL TAX RETURNS FOR BOTH OF US UNTIL 2017 WHEN I USED AN AGENT. JUST NORMAL RETURNS AND NO MENTION OF MY SICKNESS AND LODGEMENT AND REJECTION OF CLAIM FOR CARERS ALLOWANCE WITH CENTRELINK, KEITH

what has your agent told you about your present tax returns

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
AT LODGMENT OF2017 RETURNS FOR BOTH OF US, HE SEEMED DISINTERESTED , AND INTIMATED THAT NO OTHER TAXATION RELIEF WAS POSSIBLE THE AGENT FAILED TO RECORD SOME DEDUCTION RECEIPTS I HAD SUPPLIED IN MY RETURN AND THEN MADE A MISTAKE RESULTING IN THE TAX OFFICE ADJUSTING THE RETURN . SO I INTEND TO RETURN TO DOING MY 2018 RETURN MYSELF

I recommend that you consider another tax agent, and provide them written instructions.

then where they fail to complete your return in accordance with the relevant legislation you will be able to raise a claim against them.

does this answer your important question today ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
NO MY IMPORTANT QUESTION TO YOU ...IS THERE ANY PROVISION FOR ME TO CLAIM ON MY NEXT TAX RETURN THE $5 A DAY I GIVE MY WIFE TO CARE FOR ME AS SHE IS DEPENDENT ON ME AND I AM DEPENDENT ON HER FROM YOUR COMMENTS SOFAR IT SEEMS THE ANSWER IS NO AND IT WOULD BE BEST TO PERSUE THE CARERS ALLOWANCE FOR HER AND GET ANOTHER TAX AGENT TO DO MY RETURN THIS YEAR MY WIFE HAS NO INCOME SO NO RETURN FOR HER

this will depend on what paper work you have file with centrelink for that deduction.

if you have not file the correct paperwork you cannot make that claim.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THE PAPERWORK WITH CENTRELINK AT PRESENT IS THE REJECTED APPLICATION FOR CARERS ALLOWANCESUPPORTED BY THE HOSPITAL'S REPORT OF THE NECESSITY OF CARER HELP FOR ME AND A FEW COMPLETED PAPERS OF OUR PERSONAL AND FINAncial positions
I INTEND TO INCLUDE DETAILS OF WHAT I HAVE SUPPLIED YOU IN ADRAFTOF A LETTERI AM PRESENTLY DOING TO THE ATO

ok, but you need to get centerlink to approve the allowance first before it will be accepted by the ato

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THANKS JOHN,,,,I WILL WRITE TO CENTRELINK ALSO, AND REQUEST THEM TO AGAIN EXAMINE THE CLAIM FOR CARERS ALLOWANCE FOR MY WIFE WHICH THEY REJECTED BECAUSE THEY DID NOT RECEIVE ALL THE INFORMATION REQUESTED ....THEN ADVISE THEM THAT I PAY MY WIFE $50 A DAY. IN LIEU OF WHATEVER THE CENTRELINK NORMALLY PAYS AS AN ALLOWANCE AND ASK FOR THEIR APPROVAL WHICH WOULD BE ACCEPTABLE TO ATO FOR ME TO CLAIM AS TAX RELIEF

ok that is a very good way to.

Have I answered your important questions today ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I AM MORE INFORMED AND CAN ADVANCE WITH MORE CONFIDENCE IN RESOLVING MY QUESTION I AM SATISFIED THAT I GOT MY MONEYS WORTH
THANKS KEITH

you are most welcome

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this will allow me to continue to answer your important questions.

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor