Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

What does reasonable mean in the context of- she has not…

Customer Question
What does reasonable mean...

What does reasonable mean in the context of- she has not established that she is unable by reasonable means to provide adequately for her proper maintenance and support

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Challenging a Will and I am responding to Executors Affidavit where he states that I have not established that I am unable by reasonable means to provide adequately for my proper maintenance and support. Context is the 2014 Amendments to the Victorian Admin.. and Probate Act 1958. Many thanks.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No not really

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Law
1/6/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 5 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

There is no legal definition of reasonable the courts make their own determination based on the dictionary meaning and apply it to each case.

If you do not have a solicitor in your application I suggest you get one as this can be costly if not done correctly.

They are referring to section 91(4) of the act.

Please see a copy of the link

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/aapa1958259/s91.html

If you are an eligible person you have to prove to the court what the act says to be be succsessful

(4) In determining the amount of provision to be made by a family provision order, if any, the Court must take into account—

(a) the degree to which, at the time of death, the deceased had a moral duty to provide for the eligible person; and

(b) the degree to which the distribution of the deceased's estate fails to make adequate provision for the proper maintenance and support of the eligible person; and

(c) in the case of an eligible person referred to in paragraph (f) or (g) of the definition of "eligible person", the degree to which the eligible person is not capable, by reasonable means, of providing adequately for the eligible person's proper maintenance and support; and

(d) in the case of an eligible person referred to in paragraphs (h) to (k) of the definition of "eligible person", the degree to which the eligible person was wholly or partly dependent on the deceased for the eligible person's proper maintenance and support at the time of the deceased's death.

Your solicitor will be able to look at cases and give you more information on how they apply them

The following link is cases that have been decided and you can see what they say,

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinosrch.cgi/au?method=boolean&rank=on&query=vic%20consol_act%20aapa1958259%20s91

It is a long process and you do need a solicitor.

They have simply stated that you do not meet the criteria of the act to be granted the orders that you have asked. Simply quoting it is not enough they have to also provide evidence as to why you do not meet the requirement.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

.

Leon, Solicitor