Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have had a insurance claim lodged with CHU through a

Customer Question
I have had a...

I have had a insurance claim lodged with CHU through a broker for water damage caused by a washing malfunction in an up stairs bathroom/Laundry leaking down to the kitchen downstairs since August 17.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes they have offered me an amount of $6500 approx for the kitchen but refuse to acknowledge the primary source of the one off leak being the bathroom / laundry. The broker has also questioned their decision and advised to reject their offer and refer it to IDR Team to review (Internal Dispute).

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats it thanks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
1/4/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

I recommend that before you reject the offer that you review the policy conditions on the insurance that was taken out.

with all due respects in regards ***** ***** broker, unless they provide you written advice that you should reject the offer as they consider the offer is not appropriate based on the policy, then you should not act on their verbal advice. This because most policies permit the insurer to direct in what capacity they will assess the claim and the payout.

does this assist in your question ?