Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have received a phone call from Centrelink regarding a…

Customer Question
I have received a...

I have received a phone call from Centrelink regarding a debt from 2010 /2011 for at this point for 4000 can they come at me afte s much time isn't there a limit and worse still I am doing dialysis and going to hospital for check ups for cancer and for dialysis etc so I a not able to work full time but part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Filed ?? I received a letter last year asking for employment details and I provided a copy of bank statements so far I have only received a phone call asking for the $4000 the girl said it would now be reviewed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there some way of escape or something

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
1/4/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

centrelink can raise a claim during the prior seven years for over payment where such has occurred.

it is recommended that where this has happened that the presenting a counter claim may help reduce the penalties to a point only.