Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am writing a book about black magic. I was wondering if I…

Customer Question
I am writing a...

I am writing a book about black magic. I was wondering if I could name famous people without being sued.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Isn't it true that you can only be sued if you are stating verifiable facts. When talking about the black magic I am only making assumptions which can't be proven correct.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No - the book isn't finished.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Queensland but the book would be a worldwide publication

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
1/4/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will be with you shortly.

you can but you need to reference the source of material used.

does that answer your question.

No. Please tell me about defamation and oppinions. I have experienced black magic. I have suffered from it. I have written a book naming certain VIPs as having been involved in it. I cannot prove the matter to be true or false. Neither can they. Noone can because it's not scientific. Therefore are you free of defamation penalties?

if you are stating names of actual people and it defames them, a claim of defamation will stand.

in this way it is better that you do nto use real names of person's of the subject matter.