Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We are share holders in a business that has folded. We are…

Customer Question
Hi, we are share...

Hi, we are share holders in a business that has folded. We are not directors in the business and have to now pay a large loan back to the bank.I know that we have to do that but as we are not directors of this business can we be held accountable for outstanding debt?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoira

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The business is sold but not enough to cover debts

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
1/4/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will be with you shortly.

the shareholders will not be held liable, unless you are considered de facto directors.

The director is trying to get us to refinance our house to help them pay debts. The bank will not do this as our income is too low and are already paying back $165,000 loan against our house for the business. I think they are just trying it on me and i just want to be clear that we are not responsible if we are not directors .

do you think you were shadow directors ?