Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I live in Brisbane, but I have a sister with dementia living…

Customer Question
Hi, my name is...

Hi, my name is Juliana. I live in Brisbane, but I have a sister with dementia living in Victoria. Her financial affairs are in a bit of disarray, with her daughter living in New York, and her son who has been looking after her but who now wants to relinquish the responsibility. We need her affairs sorted legally. Who can we talk to? She lives in an aged care facility in Beaconsfield.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Her daughter has a power of attorney over her affairs, but we are unsure of its validity given it was signed when she was starting to get unwell.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

This was done in Victoria, and I believe the power of attorney was actually signed at a chemist!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really. My niece has more details but she is not with me at the moment.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
1/4/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

the next step is to raise a claim at VCAT in the Guardianship division to have the financial matters fixed.

do you have a copy of the power ?

Hi, my niece has contacted her own solicitor, and I will not be using your services. JustAnswer has debited my Paypal account with $50, but I am requesting a refund. I am not sure how I can obtain it.

from you the help menu on the home page you can ask support.