Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We have a shared driveway situation onelderslie and wish to…

Customer Question
We have a shared...

We have a shared driveway situation on*****elderslie and wish to move our gate for better access to our garage, we would be moving the gatepost but still within the turn in for our shared driveway which our neighbours understand in out of bounds. However the new gatepost will change the open look of the existing turn in. Are we legally entitled to go ahead with this change/ thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

We have built a granny flat in our back yard and need to adjust the driveway turn in to accomodate this. the recent surveyers markings are within the straight line defining our land, and not an area our neighbours every had access to only the visual aspect of space. Are we entitled to go ahead with our plans based on the mark the surveyor made in the survey they did in the last 8 weeks.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The land we live on was subdivided and the shared drive way was written into the sale, however the area we are dealing with in the turn in at the end of the driveway to our property. The gates were orininally aligned with the garage on the adjoining property and we are proposing to move them forward to the boundries of our surveyed land

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
1/3/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

I will assume it is a right of way and if that is what it is then provided all parties that have a right to use it agree you can make changes but you cannot block the use.

When you say the change will change the look, provided it does not change the position of the right of way then you do not have any problem.

You should have the plans checked by the surveyor to make sure that you are not encroaching on any other land.

You also have to get approval if you change the location from council.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards