Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I purchased an item online from a personal seller and later…

Customer Question
So i purchased an...

So i purchased an item online from a personal seller and later found out the item was a counterfeit. I confronted her and asked for a refund, however she refused. I then went to police and they said they could not do anything about it and that i should seek legal advice

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

Nsw

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

And march of 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope nothing has been filled or reported

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
1/2/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will be with you shortly.

your matter is a civil one.

what you need to do is bring a claim under the Australian Consumer Law for misleading and deceptive conduct at NCAT.

NCAT's website is very good and just follow the procedures on that site to commence your claim.

have I answered your question today ?

nope

you have said you would like a refund for the fake goods you bought.

the seller will not provide one.

so the next step is to raise a civil claim under the Australian Consumer Law.

this claim needs to be brought at NCAT, New South Wales Civil Administrative Tribunal, civil division.

You can either submit an application online a NCAT or engage a lawyer to help you.

do you still have a copy of the receipt for the goods bought ?