Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

The reason that I am contacting is that I would like advice…

Customer Question
Dear Sir/Madam,The reason that...

Dear Sir/Madam,The reason that I am contacting is that I would like advice on the following problem: we are old pensioners and are faced with what I consider to be a very large and unfair vet bill.
The vet concerned has recently built a very expensive veterinary facility in Cooma, and it is the talk of the town that he is charging extortionary amounts of money to try to pay of what is no doubt a huge loan and no doubt hopes to become a very rich man.We had the misfortune to have a terrier eat some Ratsac, without our knowledge. We knew it was sick, but did not know why.
It turned out that the vet we normally use was closed as he was going to a funeral, so we had no choice but to take him to Snowy vets.
He walked in on a lead. We were told he was, “Very sick.” But this we did not perceive meant that he could not get better with good medical help. I suspect then that they thought that he had very little chance of making it, but they offered more strategies, and we believing that he then would have good chance agreed.At 4.30 pm, I rang and spoke to the secretary, saying that I would come and pick him up, thinking that I would cut costs and bring him home and euthanise him myself unless they could assure me that he had a very good chance. She said that she would, “Check and see if he was available for picking up, and that the vet was busy, but said that she would ring me back, and when she had not done so by well after 5.00 pm, I rang her.In their logo they have: “Compassion, Communication Care.” We would like to suggest that “Callous Extortion” would be more appropriate.She told me she would be doing various things which should improve his chances, and then rang at 11.30 pm, for permission to put him down.We were presented with a $2,500 bill, but were told we would be given a $1,000 discount. This means we would be paying $1,500 for a dead animal, which we feel is extortion, based on deceit, and that the junior vet who was looking after our dog was instructed to exploit the situation to the full.We have been dealing with vets all our life and have never questioned a bill, nor not paid one; but this situation is very different and we feel determined to fight it. We have paid $500 and think that this is all that Snowy Vets deserve.He has not yet started threatening legal action, only that the bill will increase, “extra charges will be incurred.”What are our options? There are emails back and forward that I have not included but could if helpful.Yours sincerelyMark Layton & Rosemary Beeton

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Cooma, NSW 2630

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We have only had letters asking for money.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Maybe I should send emails back and forward.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/1/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

Have you considered raising a claim under the Australian Consumer law ?