Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

If a will is not found or revealed, how do you wait to

Customer Question
If a will is...

If a will is not found or revealed, how long do you wait to finalise make decisions regarding belongings etc?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The death is recent and I have no knowledge of anything

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really at this stage

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/31/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

if all searches have been done and there is no will found, an application may be made at the Supreme Court Probate division

what searches have you done ?

I've done nothing as I don't know what to do. Do I assume there is no will??? What can I searched and where if I don't know what I'm looking for?

ok

have you contacted the local lawyers offices in the area, this is the first step to see if they are holding a will ?