Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I re. Last September I received a speeding fine for doing 87…

Customer Question
Hi! Last September I...

Hi! Last September I received a speeding fine for doing 87 in an 80 zone. I was surprised as I was working in Roxburugh Park on the day and the fine was travelling on the ring road near Sunshine. I decided to go to court. I have received a summons to go to court on February the 7th 2018 (but I will be overseas.) Recently it occurred to me that that may have been a day, when my husband went to get a haircut and drove my car. As my husband suffered a heart attack and later a stroke, he could not remember. I have proof that I was working on the day. Am I able to withdraw from the hearing and pay the fine? I do not want to put my husband through any stress due to his condition. Could you pleaseadvise me. Thank you!

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I sent a form requesting a hearing and have received a summons.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

When I went on line to request photo proof, I was not given the correct number, I tried to phone many times to find out more information and was unable to get through. I have received fines in the mail, which have been wrongly issued and I paid a fine for $360 in the past, which was a wrong charge, as the camera was triggered by the back wheel. When I went in to ask for a photo, they told me the system was down and I paid the fine. Only to find out later that I shouldn't have paid it as I was already in the intersection. I made my decision to go to court, as I had no photo proof at that stage.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/31/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

ok, so you want to contest it in court, right ?