Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My ex wife and I split up a year and a half ago. I moved…

Customer Question
Hello, my ex wife...

Hello, my ex wife and I split up a year and a half ago. I moved out, she is still in possession of the house as we have 3 kids. Over the past 6 months we are in the process of settlement which has fallen through. I have asked to get some of my possessions, some of which she has given to me, others that were mine long before we were married eg, surfboards and golf clubs she is threatening to sell for money.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

We have only filed our parenting plan

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

W.A

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything mainly about my possessions

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/30/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will be with you shortly.

your possessions will need to form part of the financial separation process.

if you enter the residential premises without agreement, you could be charged for trespass.

if you take the goods without agreement, even though they are yours, a claim of theft can be raised.

the key solution to obtaining your possessions is through financial separation.

have you commenced the formal process of financial separation yet ?

We've been through mediation she agreed to everything then pulled out at the last minute. I've been told expect an offer from her lawyer in the next month.
Can she sell my possessions in the mean time?
I haven't taken anything without permission

ok that is good .

would you like to have a talk by telephone.

I have extended a special offer for you to consider if you prefer ?