Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My wifes car was involved in an accident just before xmas.

Customer Question
My wifes car was...

My wifes car was involved in an accident just before xmas. The insurance company sent it to a place of their choice for assessment. When they notified us they were going to pay us out rather than fix it, we opted to purchase the vehicle back from them to fix ourselves. While the vehicle was in their care the car was damaged and had items stripped from the vehicle and not returned. Are they responsible for replacing the stolen items and fixing the additional damage(not the accident damage) while tne vehicle was in their care?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

I am in NSW and havent spoken to anyone else about it due to the time of year. I phoned the insyrance company who said no one would be back before January to call us back.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have taken photoes and am putting together a list of items taken as well as tbe damage. I have spoken to tne claims department and they say they emailed the assessors who should get back to me in January when they return to work.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thats it i think

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/29/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

once an insurance claim is made, and the insurer is in possession of the vehicle, the insurer technically owns the car, as in your case the gave you the option to be paid out.

Until you took possession of the car what ever items were stripped from the vehicle is at the discretion of the insurer.

was the car consider a "write off" ?

On their books, but due to tne cars age it is not reported and can be fully registered again.

ok the issue in your question is whether the insurer can strip the car.

unless there is some form of written agreement between the insurer and owner, the insurer is entitled to possession and the right to strip the car and present the car back as stripped.

did you have anything in writing from the insurer ?

No, when I phoned them to find out what was happening because they didnt get back to us I made it clear straight away that we wanted the car back. I was told that it would be sent back to me for $500 off the payout figure and that it should come back in the same condition as it was given to them. The only additional damage there may be is if it was moved by a forklift. They made no mention of having anything removed from tne vehicle. I would have thought the vehicle as still being mine until such times as they had paid me out, which they hadnt done at the time they took tne $500 for me to take posession of it again.

ok.

would you like to talk on the telephone.

i have extended a special offer to you to consider.