Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I work on a bus on Hamilton ISLAND. On one of our services…

Customer Question
Hi, I work on...

Hi, I work on a bus on Hamilton ISLAND. On one of our services there is there is no scheduled break and I did not have one the 10 hours I worked. I belive this illegal and what can I do about it

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Qld

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet I was thinking of sending an emai

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Im not sure, I just don't know what rights are in this case

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/29/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

you are entitled to a proper break in accordance with Fair Work Act.

Do you have a written employment agreement ?

it states that we get 2 x 15 min and one 30 min but that is not the case on certain shifts

ok.

in this case your contract also supports the requirements for a break.

you can raise a claim against the employer directly if you prefer or with the assistance of the Fair Work Commission.

Have you tried to discuss the matter directly with the employer yet ?

Not yet,I will email them. I'm new i didnt want to rock the boat

ok

when you draft the email, you need to reference your roster, the shifts specific of concern that you have worked where a break is due, and the OHS issues that need to be addressed.

I have extended a special offer to talk on the telephone if you prefer to help you with the points of the letter.