Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

The company I recently worked for for 20 years has suddenly…

Customer Question
The company I recently...

The company I recently worked for for 20 years has suddenly gone into voluntary liquidation (2 months ago). I have since lodged a claim with FEG and received a payment for unpaid benefits and entitlements. I have also lodged a complaint with ATO (back in sept 2017) re a large amount of overdue SG s/s owing. However I have another issue-UNPAID SLARY SACRIFICE CONTRIBUTIONS. I contributed about $16000 ($280/week)over a 2.5 year period on the advice of my financial planner (for transition to retirement).However although the amount was deducted from my pay and recorded on my pay slips> the monies have never been paid into my s/a fund and have hence been misappropriated. I only discovered the fact a few months ago (and immediately ceased the salary sacrifice contributions). Both FEG and the ATO have informed me they cannot help me with this. Could you advise me if there is any help available. The liquidator is still processing the unsecured creditors claims although there is unlikely to be much money to be distributed to creditors . Should I make a seperate claim to the liquidator (They previously referred me to FEG) or can you assist me with making a claim for the unpaid monies?.The company (Sorensen short and assoc) went into liquidation on 20.10.17 and I am concerned if I leave it too long I may miss the opportunity to recover any of my monies. please advise me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Regards ***** *****

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

WA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all thanks Mark

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Australia Law
12/29/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

Mark you matter is one of a civil claim, and you will need to listed as a creditor to the company.

you may have another alternative which is to raise a claim against the financial adviser subject to the facts.

have you consider these options ?

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor