Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have just discovered I was scammed over a period of a year…

Customer Question
I have just discovered...

I have just discovered I was scammed over a period of a year by an Indonesian woman who I "fell in love with" Recently she was also unfaithful to me which led to me digging deeper and eventually I found her posted on Stop Scammers and Scam Warners. I take it taking money on false pretences is illegal? What is my remedy? I live in Perth WA and she lives in Jakarta

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It is not USA, I live in Wewstern Australia and she lives in Indonesia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not yet. We actually became engaged earlier this year and I had no idea so I just gave her money when she asked for it. In the beginning she went on a spending spree for designer bags, shoes, clothes. I just want to know if there is a case?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it for now

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/29/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 5 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

My apology for the delay. I was on a flight overseas and was only just able to log on.

I am very sorry to hear about this.

It is a criminal offence but the Australian Police cannot do anything about it if she is in Indonesia.

The only police that can do anything are the indonesian police.

Now you can report it to the Australian Federal Police and give them the information you have and also evidence of the money you have sent.

You can also report it to interpol.

https://www.interpol.int/Member-countries/Asia-South-Pacific/Indonesia

If they catch her they will prosecute but you may not get your money back. But she will go to jail

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 4 months ago

Good Evening

I am following up my last post.
Is there anything else I can assist you with, if so please let mw know.

Regards