Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My husband and siblings were basically disinherited by their…

Customer Question
My husband and siblings...

My husband and siblings were basically disinherited by their stepmother of 40 years who under the influence of a malevolent friend put her several million into a trust controlled by same woman with the beneficiary being her niece. The children had been promised a 50/50 split between them and said niece on their fathers death. Earlier wills reflect this. The neice (60 yrs old) is prepared to pay to break the trust and give money to the stepchildren however advice to date is that she would probably lose if she took it to court. What do you think?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I don't believe it has

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just if she knows of any examples where people have had any success in this situation. The neice has been told it would cost$ 130000 and would probably fail.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/28/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will be with you shortly.

there is possible to make a claim for family provision.

but in order to determine the merits of raising a claim further information will be required.

can you provide more details ?

What sort of details?

can you explain in further detail how was the promise of 50/50 split determined, is there any written evidence to support the same ?

I believe in previous wills this was outlined though in the last will we knew about she had changed it to 70/30 in favour of the neice.
Finally unbeknown to us or neice she tied up 2.5/3 mill in a trust for the neice and gave the siblings $60000 each, same as 3rd cousins.

ok

on this basis a family provision may be able to be raised.

the question as to whether it will be successful will be based on an entire review of all details.

would you like to discuss this by telephone?

I have extended a special offer for you to consider in this important matter

The 50/50 split was probably because their father put the family house and Super into the marriage and on his death left everything to her.

this is possible.

as I said there may be grounds for a claim. and it should not cost the amount you have stated if managed carefully.

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor