Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have started a company called burnout Master search. It’s…

Customer Question
Hi, I have started...

Hi, I have started a company called burnout Master search. It’s a motorsport category that uses cars to do burnouts in a competition. There is a company who has trade marked the word burnout Master

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Burnout masters

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The company is summernats they hold the largest car show of its type and also have a nation wide burnout competition called burnout masters. The idea of our company is to find people less fortunate who can’t afford to build such cars a chance to enter a competition to win an arrive and drive oackage in our car.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing has been reported just a guy I know who works their has said a friendly bit of advice summernats has these words trademarked

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/27/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will be with you shortly.

Thank you. If I can offer anymore information let me know

what you should do is carry out a trade mark search on the Australian Register to see if those words a trade marked.

if the words are already trade marked, the best option would be to consider other words in relation to the enterprise in order to protect your business model from being claimed against.

Buy calling my business name burnout Master search is this considered as a breach of trademark rules ?

if another party has already registered the name, and it associates with the same industry type and style yes it does.

how can I find out exactly if it does? Look on asic ?

would you like to have a quick chat on the telephone if you prefer ?

The only trademark is word:
burnout masters
I have a registered business called burnout master search

in google type in Trade Marks IP Australia and the government search engine will show up.

select that option and you can complete a detailed search.

a trademark will over rule a business name.

I have located a trademark named:
Burnout mastersAm I ok to have burnout master search? As it’s not copying

lets talk on the phone and I can explain the issues more easily for you if you prefer ?

I’m happy to email. Thanks

if you do not own the trade you cannot use the name.

the trade mark is superior to the business registration.

there are ways to argue against the situation but they complex in nature.

What would be the next course of action? Wait for the to send me a cease and desist letter?

you need to check the register and classes that apply to the name.

Classes 9
Films, videos, recorded magnetic, optical, electronic or photographic media in this classClass 25:
Footwear, headgear and clothing in this class including t shirts and jackets
Class 41:
Organising and conducting sporting and entertainment events and competitions;
Production of radio, television, cinema programs and webcasts

the party have registered a broad class.

so may be it is worth while considering other options to avoid unnecessary legal costs with claims being raised.

alternatively you can argue the matter out in court an see who maintains their right of use, but it will be an expensive option.

renaming would be a better option.

that is an option

but I would recommend that you carry out a thorough investigation on a legal basis before making a decision

How would I go about doing such a thorough investigation?

the next step is to engage a lawyer to carry out a full due diligence check on the trademark and associated risks with the name you are using. This usually takes a couple of days.

What costs would be associated with such a thing? Is your firm able to do this? My business is registered in nsw

the next steps would require me to talk on the telephone so I can explain in detail how the process will work.

I invite you to select the call services to discuss further on this aspect.

I’m not paying more to speak on the phone. There is no reason it can’t be emailed. If your unable to help proceed I can employ another firm to do so. Thanks

you can keep raising questions in this forum as you prefer.

The cost to do a search is different for each law firm, and and these costs would need to be discussed after further consultation in respect to your business.