Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

If a man makes a will with his first wife, then divorces her…

Customer Question
If a man makes...

If a man makes a will with his first wife, then divorces her several years later, but does not make a will with his second wife, then he dies, does the first will stand or is it null and void?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know of. The first will was done with a solicitor in Mildura, Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if the will that's was made is still valid, even though the deceased was married to his second wife for many years before passing away.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/23/2017
Solicitor: retireddebra,
 replied 7 months ago
retireddebra

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Solicitor: retireddebra,
 replied 7 months ago

Oh dear. I thought this was about Victoria, BC.

I realize it's not.

I will ask the site to move the question over to the Australia law list.

Thankyou. When I asked the question I didn't realize this site was American. So sorry I didn't make it clear. Yes it is Victoia, Australia.
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

when you divorce your wife the will that mentions the person, that person then becomes void under the will.

does this answer your important question today ?