Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have been contacted over the phone by people who claim…

Customer Question
I have been...

I have been contacted over the phone by people who claim they can get me compensation for - inconvenience/pain due to a car accident. They say they can get the money from a gov department. I didn't ask for this, but now I am worried they might want to put pressure on the other party, who, I am sure has no money. (I got insurance from the RAA). Is this a scam? but what would they get out of it, since they didn't ask for bank details?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

My accident was in SA. They called from WA

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

No, I never asked for compensation. They just called out of the blue

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, just if that could be fair dinkum or a scam, and how could it be determined it is a scam, for after all being money offered is tempting.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/22/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

yes you need to be careful of the calls.

The best way to find out if you are entitled to compensation is to either ask a question on just answer with me or call a lawyer's office.

Protect yourself from scams is getting harder these days.

do you need help with a compensation claim ?

No. I just want to know if these people are for real, offering compensation for inconvenience, and who would it be payi8ng the compensation, because I myself do not wish to inconvenience the person who caused the accident.

from what you have said, I consider they will be some form of a scam.

does this answer your important question today ?

sorry, I done't seem to be at the right address.
The RAA thinks it is a scam. But how, what would be in it for them?

ok then that makes sense.

its best that you do not communicate with them.

have I answered your question today ?

Sorry, I realize it's only conjecture; still I was hoping for some ideas there. Good bye.

you are doing well

there are other options, would you like to talk on the phone ?