Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My father died 8 years ago and 6 weeks ago i found out he…

Customer Question
My father died 8...

My father died 8 years ago and 6 weeks ago i found out he set up a protective trust for me. My brother is executor and he has clearly not carried out any of my dads wishes, there would have been a large sum in it. What can i do my brother has duped me. He actually told me i wasnt relevent in dads will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I just got hold of my dads will, for first time 6weeks ago. It is written in it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is big amounts my brother sold of lots of property.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/21/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

you can make a family provision claim against the will

and where your brother has not acted appropriately as executor you can raise a claim in the Supreme Court Probate division to see compensation for a breach of fiduciary duties and the loss that has occurred.

have you issued a formal complaint to the executor in writing yet ?

No i did ask why i was never told or shown the will, and that is when he said "from memory i wasnt relevent"

if you are a beneficiary under the will you are entitled to a copy.

I recommend that you consider raising formal proceedings against the executor to recover the losses

would you consider this option?

definately what would be my next step and could you explain definition of pprotective trust please

this is where you will need the help of lawyer to prepare the claim

I have extended a special offer to talk on the telephone if you prefer ?