Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My husband and I got our tax done and after 10 years we were…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I got our tax done and after 10 years we were told we were finally getting a refund of $750. We then received a letter from the ATO saying we had an overdue tax debt from 2011 for $8,097.88. This had apparently was a re-raised debt written off as “uneconomical to pursue” We have no paperwork from that year and just wonder how the ATO came to that horrendous figure when we have lodges a tax return every year? Any suggestions? Many Thanks Trudy

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We rang our accountant and she said it was probably investigated as finally we were to receive a refund. She also verified we had no debt at the time we did our return with her. My husband has rang the ATO and we are on a payment plan with them, but we still are struggling with the huge amount. Just letting you know we have moved several times over the last 6 years but the ATO has always been aware of our new addresses.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think that covers it, thanks. Also is it possible to talk on the phone?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/21/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Afternoon,

can I assume that you have done the returns from 2006 until 2016 and lodge them altogether?

in the documents you have from the tax department you should have been given an assessment. Its essence of the 2011 tax year should be disclosing your income you should compare that to your actual income tax return to ascertain what the difference is.

The only reason I can deduce from what you have disclosed, is the tax department has assessed your returns and has decided not to allow all your deductions which increased your taxable income.

You are going to have to contact them directly and ask them if they would explain the variation. If you have an accountant they are able to log onto the portal and they can see exactly what the ATO has done and why they have assessed you as owing this money.

Once you have that if you dispute the amount you can raise his dispute with the ATO and have them reassess your tax return.

But only the Australian taxation office is able to explain to you the reason why the 2011 return as income tax owing on it when you assist it as no tax owing.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards