Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I had stopped at a Red Light for approx 10 seconds, I wanted…

Customer Question
I had stopped at...

I had stopped at a Red Light for approx 10 seconds, I wanted to turn left, as there were no pedestrians I decided to safely do so. A police car was behind me and I was then pulled over and charged for ‘going through a Red light’. Is it possible to defend my actions? Surely safely turning left at a red light after stopping should be less of a charge then going through a red light and putting people in harms way?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

NSW Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

If I want to try and get off the fine & demerit points yea

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/20/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

i totally understand your situation, every driver is at sometimes faced with that circumstance at one time or another.

driving through a red light is a direct liability offence. This means even of the light just turned red and you turned, the offence would still apply.

Under the present circumstance there would be no recourse to dispute the penalty that has been issued.

have I answered your important question today ?

Hi John, I understand that I am guilty
However my question centred around whether if I was to take this matter to court and pleaded guilty would it be possible for the judge to take leanicy on the demerit points and/or fine? Surely being stationary and then turning left when safe to do so is not a bad as actually running through a red light recklessly. Thanks Dan

yes absolutely, you can seek leanicy on this important matter

have you consider character references in support at this time