Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a leak under my house coming from a very old

Customer Question
I have a leak...

I have a leak under my house coming from a very old galvanised joint pipe. two plumbers report it cant be fixed and the solution is for those still getting water from the joint pipe need to instal a pipe directly connected to the sydney water main ( as about half the residents have done).

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

What are my rights in regard to stopping the leak?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nsw

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have reported to council and sydney water and have had 4 plumbers check the leak. my neighbour has photos of a similar problem arising in 2015.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/20/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

where pipes are on your land which are not council pipes, the owner of the land will be responsible to fix the pipe.

if the pipe is a council pipe then the council will be responsible to fix.

what seems to be issue that you are experiencing with the leaking pipe ?

the leak under my house is coming from a very old galvanised pipe which according to plumbers is beyond repair and needs to be discontinued and houses still on it need to make alternative arrangements ie get their own direct line to the main. one neighbor tefuses to do this and tells me i should get the joint pipe repaired.

have the plumbers provided you a written report that the pipe is no longer any good and cannot be repaired?

as this report is important for the next step