Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I’d like to know if I’m allowed to visit my partner in jail…

Customer Question
Hi, I’d like to...

Hi, I’d like to know if I’m allowed to visit my partner in jail if there is a ADVO in place?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I’m in NSW Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He has charges for breaching ADVO and failing to show up in court. His now in Goulburn jail I’d like to go visit him but I’m not sure if i’ll Be allowed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I took the ADVO out against him and have made statements that I wish to drop

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/20/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 6 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

You are putting him in danger of a breach if you do attend. If you wish to see him in jail you need to have the ADVO amended by the court so that it permits you to visit him and that when you do it is not a breach.

If you visit him, and the ADVO says he will not approach you, then he is in breach of that order.

You have to seek that it be varied to be able to visit him so he is not in breach.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards