Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We have been told to give 28 days notice and the realestate…

Customer Question
We have been told...

We have been told to give 28 days notice and the realestate is going to force us to pay up until our contract is finished in feburary, can they do that. we are on a pension and can not afford to pay two rents

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

We are in Victoria wishing to move to the ACT

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do they have the right to force us into the 28 days. I did call them to give a month notice. when we first moved in our contract started in October, somewhere in the four years we have been here the contract has gone fron Oct to Feb the following year

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Law
12/20/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

thank you John, does the landlord have the right to force us to pay more rent once we have moved out after the 28 days notice they want us to give
Can we just give them a month notice, plus they want us to do this in writing which I understand has to be done

No the landlord cannot do that

the landlord has to comply with the proper provisions of notice.

If you have have not received the proper notice in the appropriate time, you can refuse to pay that additional amount.

does this answer your important question ?

John, this is a one off thing I have never had any trouble with real estate expect for this one, I feel they are pushing us to do something.
there has been a lot of talking from other people I know who will never rent from them
what do I get for my $82

would you like to discuss this matter by telephone ?

I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer as it will make it easier.